- Print out pages 2–6. (You may want to print pages 3 and 4 on a lightweight cardstock to make it more durable.) Connect pages 3 and 4 to form one picture.
- Color the background image, the flowers, garden decorations, and small creatures.
- On the ovals and rectangles on the background, write something that brings you joy. For example, you could write “My family,” “My friend, Annabelle,” “Biking with my daddy,” etc. (Alternatively, you can draw a picture or glue a photo in the space instead.)
- Next, cut out the images on page 2 and arrange them over the rectangles or ovals on the joined background picture (pages 3 and 4). (See the sample picture on the right for placement ideas.) Fold the tab on each picture. This is where you will glue them to the background to cover up what you wrote or drew in the shapes on your background. (Important: Only put glue behind the tabs of the pictures and not behind the pictures so that you can lift them to see what is written or drawn underneath.)
- Finish decorating your garden by adding fish, insects, birds, etc.
When your garden of joy is complete, hang it someplace where you can see it easily. Throughout the day, lift the flaps to remind yourself of some of the blessings in your life that bring you joy.